Lecrae Moore was born on October 9, 1979 in Houston, Texas. When he was a baby, his father left him and his mother, filling his life with drugs rather than family.
"I’ve learned to stay close to my source of significance and to my source of worth – and that is God."
From I Am Second
Lecrae Biography - The Early Years:
Raised by a poor, but strong single mother, Lecrae knew who Jesus was through his mom and grandmother, but he looked at religion as a crutch for weak people rather than a reality of a Savior who bought him for a blood price. He looked up to rappers on TV like Tupac and gangsters like his uncle and those in the inner city that he was surrounded by.
By the age of sixteen, he was drinking, doing drugs, stealing and fighting all the time. He was arrested while still in high school and it looked like he was going to become just another statistic, either dead or in prison before he was 21.
A Life Changed:
When Moore was 19, a friend invited him to go to a youth conference with him. Lecrae agreed because "the big city" would be full of girls and parties. What he found was a much different kind of party than he expected. For the first time in his young life, Lecrae found other young, inner city kids like himself that were changed by Christ. He asked God to get him out of his current lifestyle and God answered a short time later with a car wreck that should have killed him, but instead, left him without a scratch. Moore started living his life for Jesus. He started going to college at University of North Texas and shared his printed testimony with other students on the campus.
Leading Others to Christ:
After graduating college, he continued writing lyrics about his struggles and victory and this time, he shared them with young inmates as a volunteer at a Dallas juvenile detention center. The profound impact his words had on the teens there showed him that his path was music.
By the age of 25, he had formed Reach Records with Ben Washer and released his first album. The more people heard his music, the more change he saw taking place in people's lives. Lecrae wanted to do more though; he wanted to open as many doors to Christ as he could for people who desperately needed a Savior.
A year later, one of those doorways came to life when he co-founded ReachLife Ministries. Created to "help bridge the gap between biblical truth and the urban context," ReachLife focuses on Evangelism, Discipleship, and Leadership Development for urban church leaders.
- Anomaly, September 9, 2014
- Church Clothes Vol. 2, 2013
- Church Clothes (mix tape), 2012 (Purchase/Download)
- Rehab: Deluxe Edition 2-CD/DVD, 2011
- Rehab: The Overdose, 2011
- Rehab, 2010
- Rebel, 2008
- After The Music Stops, 2006 (Purchase/Download)
- Real Talk, 2004 (Vendor's Site)
He has also appeared on ...
Lecrae Starter Songs
- "Walk With Me" f/ Novel (Purchase/Download)
- "Killa" (Purchase/Download)
- "Release Date" f/ Chris Lee (Purchase/Download)
- "More" (Purchase/Download)
- "Anger Management" f/ Thi'sl) (Purchase/Download)
- "Background" f/ C-Lite (Purchase/Download)
- "Lucky Ones" f/ Rudy Currence (Purchase/Download)
- "After the Music Stops" (Purchase/Download)
Official Music Videos
- "Background" Ft. Andy Mineo (C-Lite) (Watch)
- "Church Clothes" (Watch)
- "Don't Waste Your Life" Ft. Cam (Watch)
- "Far Away" (Watch)
- "Jesus Muzik" Ft. Trip Lee (Watch)
- "Just Like You" (Watch)
- "Prayin' For You" (Watch)
- Lecrae Shares His Testimony of Jesus Christ (Watch)
Lecrae Music Awards:
- Dove Awards for Rap/Hip Hop Album of the Year and Rap/Hip Hop Recorded Song of the Year (2013)
- Dove Awards for Rap/Hip Hop Album of the Year and Rap/Hip Hop Recorded Song of the Year (2012)
- Dove Award for Special Event Album of the Year (The Story, also featuring Matthew West, Leigh Nash from Sixpence None the Richer, Mark Hall & Megan Garret from Casting Crowns, Brandon Heath, Bart Millard from MercyMe, Michael Tait From Newsboys, Blanca Callahan from Group 1 Crew, Chris Tomlin and Peter Furler) - 2012
- Stellar Award for Rap/Hip Hope Gospel CD of the Year (Rehab: The Overdose) - 2012
- Lecrae has a perfect Christian Graduation Song
- Lecrae Gets A GRAMMY Nomination (2013)
- Lecrae has One of the Top 40 Christian Songs of 2011
- Lecrae Nominated for 2011 Readers' Choice Awards
- Lecrae Nominated for 2011 Grammy