- Style: Hip-Hop/Rap
- Released: March 22, 2005
- Tracks: 11
- War Cry
- Amy's Song
- Get Down
- Get Your Back Up Off The Wall
- Government Name
- He Won't Leave You
- The Laundromat
- Here We Go
- Like This
- Show Love
- Face Of Hip Hop
Bobby Bishop - 'Government Name' - Impressive for All Ages
I'll admit it - I'm not a huge fan of rap/hip-hop. Maybe it's my age or the fact that I'm a vocalist so I like singers, but whatever it is, you won't generally find me listening to it. But, because I know that this isn't just about my own personal taste in music, I stuck Bobby Bishop's CD Government Name in my purse to give it a listen on the way to pick up my son from school. Mike is 16 and loves that style of music but he's never really gotten into Christian rap because he and his friends have determined that it's "lame." So, knowing his opinion on the subject, I didn't say anything about who or what it was, I just stuck it in the CD player right after he got in the car. Not quite halfway through the first track he asked me to please turn it up. The next question was "Who is that mom?". My answer, being a smart-alec mom, was, "Oh - just one of those lame Christian rappers son. Nobody you'd be interested in." That started a diatribe about how I just didn't know anything about rap because this guy wasn't lame at all, etc. etc etc. Success!!! By the time we got home we were on track four and the CD disappeared into the house with my son. I've seen it once since then but I've heard it several times coming from his room!
The Beats Jump Out at You
Mike was so impressed with the CD that he offered to write down some comments for me (since in his world, I'm rap illiterate) and being a smart mom, I took him up on it. Bobby Bishop reached my kid with this CD and that was no small feat.
- War Cry is really inspirational because it says what so many teenagers think, but can't put into words.
- Get Your Back Up Off The Wall has an awesome old school beat. The song is about two brothers who are so different and it could be about almost any two brothers that I know.
- Government Name is good because Bobby makes it sound like he just didn't care what anybody thought, he was going to do what he wanted to do. Most people are so worried about image because they think that an appearance is what makes them fit in that they don't really follow their dreams.
- He Won't Leave You has a beat that just jumps out at you. It speaks about God just helping people and this is something that many people really need to hear.
- Here We Go has a techno beat that people can move to and it will really catch your attention and make you listen.
- Face of Hip Hop tells about how it was and how it is. So many people just see it as drugs and girls, and can't see past the stereotype. This song breaks that up.
Disclosure: A review copy was provided by the publisher. For more information, please see our Ethics Policy.