Rap/Hip Hop Album of the Year
- Remixed; KJ-52 - WINNER!
- After The Music Stops; Lecrae (Purchase/Download)
- Glory; Manafest
- Pro + Pain; Mars Ill
- The Flood; Gospel Gangstaz
With the remixes being, well, real-live remixes, KJ-52 hit this one out of the ball-park! It's no big surprise that it brought him his third Gospel Music Association Dove Award.
Rock Album of the Year
- DecembeRadio; DecembeRadio - WINNER
- Business Up Front Party In The Back; Family Force 5
- Comatose; Skillet
- End Of Silence; Red
- Smile, It’s The End Of The World; Hawk Nelson (Purchase/Download)
This category held a special meaning for me because DecembeRadio is one of my all-time favorite bands. I met these guys in '06 during GMA Week (I was actually their - first interview) and loved both their music and their spirits. To win with a debut album is big; to beat out big names in your genre' (like Hawk Nelson and Skillet) with a debut album is huge! So, to Eric, Boone, Josh and Brian - Way to go guys!
Rock/Contemporary Album of the Year
- Good Monsters; Jars Of Clay - WINNER
- Hearts Of The Innocent; Kutless
- Sound Of Melodies; Leeland
- The Face Of Love; Sanctus Real (Purchase/Download)
- We Can’t Stand Sitting Down; Stellar Kart
Lots of deep lyrics and their usual great music made Good Monsters a good choice. Their were some hard contenders they were up against, but this 12th GMA Award was well-earned.
Pop/Contemporary Album of the Year
- See The Morning; Chris Tomlin - WINNER
- Between The Dreaming And The Coming True; Bebo Norman
- Broken And Beautiful; Mark Schultz
- Coming Up To Breathe; MercyMe
- Nothing Left To Lose; Mat Kearney
This win was one of four at the 2007 GMA Awards for Chris Tomlin, making his total count ten. This soothing worship album was another one that had some serious contenders it was competing against, and it came out on top!
Inspirational Album of the Year
- Bless The Broken Road: The Duets Album; Selah - WINNER
- A Grateful People; Watermark
- A Greater Song; Paul Baloche
- Blur The Lines; The Crabb Family
- Legacy Of Love...David Phelps Live; David Phelps
Bringing in Selah's 5th Dove win, Bless The Broken Road: The Duets Album was a perfect choice for Inspirational Album of the Year.
Southern Gospel Album of the Year
- Give It Away; Gaither Vocal Band - WINNER
- Graceland; The Mike Bowling Group
- He’s So God; Brian Free And Assurance
- Stepping Stones; Poet Voices
- Strength; Young Harmony (Purchase/Download)
Bill Gaither won his first GMA Dove Award back in 1969. Give It Away is the 10th Southern Gospel Album of the Year that Bill Gaither has his name on.
Bluegrass Album of the Year
- Flyin’ High; Lewis Family - WINNER
- Acoustic Hymns Volume 1; Cumberland Quartet
- Ancient Of Days; Harvest Wind
- He Lives In Me; Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
- The Promised Land; Del McCoury Band
For the third year in a row, the Lewis Family has taken home this honor. This 7th GMA Award continues a really nice track record.
Country Album of the Year
- Precious Memories; Alan Jackson - WINNER
- Everyday; Mark Bishop
- Feels Like Home; Dave Moody
- He Kept On Loving Me; Barbara Fairchild
- Songs Of Inspiration; Alabama
This was Alan Jackson's first GMA win and Billboard called it absolutely correctly when they called it "A landmark work."
Urban Album of the Year
- This Is Me; Kierra Kiki Sheard - WINNER
- Grateful; Coko
- Tales From The Badlands; Liquid
- Testimony; Virtue
- This Is Who I Am; Kelly Price
We first saw Kierra "Kiki" Sheard walk off of the GMA stage as a winner in 2005. The girl hasn't slowed down since!
Traditional Gospel Album of the Year
- Mighty Wind; Andraé Crouch - WINNER
- A New Beginning; Bishop Eddie Long & The New Birth Total Praise Choir
- Clarence Fountain and The Blind Boys Of Alabama With Sam Butler, Jr.; Sam Butler, Clarence Fountain, Haywood Gregory, Sr., Hayward Gregory, Jr.
- Paved The Way; The Caravans
- Sing To The Lord A New Song; Alabama Spirituals
No stranger to GMA wins, Andraé Crouch first won back in 1977 for Soul/Black Gospel Album of the Year. 30 years and nine wins later, he's still making truly moving music.
Contemporary Gospel Album of the Year
- It’s Not Over; Karen Clark Sheard - WINNER
- Feels Good; Take 6
- Free To Worship; Fred Hammond (Purchase/Download)
- Life Changing ; Smokie Norful
- No Limits Live; Martha Munizzi
How cool is it when you win the Contemporary Gospel Album of the Year award on the same night that your daughter wins the Urban Album of the Year award? How much cooler is it when it's your first GMA win for a solo project?
Instrumental Album of the Year
- End Of The Spear Soundtrack - WINNER
- 20 Contemporary Hymn Favorites For Solo Piano; John E. Coates
- Breathe-Piano; Tom Howard
- Guitars In Worship; Dave Cleveland
- Sunday Morning Jams Vol. 2 ; Quiet Time Players
For me, this was an easy choice. With names like BarlowGirl, Steven Curtis Chapman, Nicole C. Mullen and Mark Schultz tied to it, plus instrumental music that brings on a deep, meloncholy feel, it was a hands down winner.
Children's Music Album of the Year
- Veggie Tales Worship Songs; Phil Vischer, Mike Nawrocki, Lara Vischer, Matt Redman - WINNER
- Absolute Modern Worship for Kids Yellow
- Cedarmont Worship For Kids 3; Cedarmont Kids
- Here I Am To Worship Kids 3
- Sing Over Me Worship Songs And Lullabies; Bethany Dillon, Erin O’Donnell, Christy Nockels, Nichole Nordeman, Janna Long; Ed Cash
This category had so many great choices, it was hard to predict a winner. Veggie Tales is such a great pick (my youngest daughter loves them) that I can't be at all sad that they won.
Spanish Language Album of the Year
- Si Alguna Vez; Alejandra - WINNER
- Alegria; Marcos Witt
- En El Lugar Secreto; Blest
- Mi Alma Te Alaba; Alan Villatoro
- Un Dia Mas; Daniel Calvetti