If you are a fan of NBC's The Voice and you watched the show on Monday, February 20, 2012, you probably saw a face that you recognized. Anthony Evans performed Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" and was picked by Christina Aguilera to be a member of Team Christina.
No stranger to the stage, Anthony, started his career in Gospel music in 2001 when he joined Kirk Franklin's ministry as a backup singer. He traveled the world with Kirk for four years before leaving to pursue a solo career.
Not Turning His Back on Gospel
Competing on The Voice is just another step in Evans' musical journey. Although his official show bio says, "Anthony hopes that competing on 'The Voice' will allow him to step out of Christian and gospel music and crossover to mainstream pop," when you get to his own words, he says, "We perform mostly at Christian events and conferences. I'm hoping that The Voice will help me continue and broaden what I do." "Continue and broaden" is a far cry from "step out of." The About Anthony section of his personal website adds even more weight to this being a part of the journey rather than a side trip off of the path because it remains focused on his ministry.
For the son of Dr. Tony Evans, a renowned pastor, author, and speaker, as well as the founder of Oak Cliff Bible Fellowship Church in Dallas, Texas, being a Christian is far more than just putting on a suit once a week and showing up in church. Being a Christian is not something you do; it's something you are. In an exclusive interview last year about Father's Day, Anthony told me, "My dad made me understand that living for the Lord was real. It wasn’t because of the church, programs, books or radio it was simply because of the way he lived. As a child of a minister I was more focused on his life at home being congruent with his life at the church…it was and now I stand confident in what I do."
Bottom line - Regardless of what song he sings or what stage he performs on, Anthony Evans will honor his Savior while doing it.
Anthony Evans Discography:
- Home, 2011 (Purchase/Download)
- Undisguised, 2010 (Purchase/Download)
- What Christmas Means, 2009 (Purchase/Download)
- The Bridge, 2008 (Compare Prices) - Debuted as the #1 Christian album on iTunes
- Letting Go, 2006 (Compare Prices)
- Even More, 2004 (Compare Prices)
Anthony Evans Starter Songs:
- "Could It Be" (Purchase/Download)
- "Everlasting God" (Purchase/Download)
- "You Know My Name" (Purchase/Download)
- "Forgive Me" (Purchase/Download)
- "Letting Go" (Purchase/Download)
Anthony Evans Facts:
- Anthony's first video, "Letting Go," went to #1 on the Gospel Music Channel and spent over 5 weeks on top. It ended as #1 for the year.
- His second video, which was sponsored by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, was for "Meaningless." It spent over 5 weeks in the #1 spot on the Gospel Music Channel and was featured on Billy Graham's national prime time TV special in 2008.
- As a World Vision artist, Evans has brought in over 3,000 child sponsorships.
- He sang at the Apollo with Yolanda Adams and she had him perform a solo for the crowd.
- Anthony sang background vocals for U2 at the 2001 Grammy Awards.