If you were to describe Christian pop / contemporary music using secular music terms, "Top 40" would easiliy fit the bill. Pop music plus soft rock equals Pop / contemporary!
If you are looking for a good place to start listening, the Top Christian Pop Bands list shares some of the best and the brightest.
Audrey Assad is one of those rare people who know who exactly who they are and who God created them to be. A woman who has always danced to her own tune, she has successfully merged the two and her music certainly reflects it.
The New Jersey native started her ministry in Florida and two full-length albums and two Dove Awards nominations later, is an artist who is making a definite impact on fans.
Audrey Assad Discography:
Avalon was formed in 1996 in Nashville, TN because Sparrow Records wanted to put together a vocal group that could sing as well as deliver strong messages of faith. In the 20+ years since, there have been some member changes, but the excellence that has gained them 21 chart topping singles, 6 Dove Awards, 3 Grammy nominations and an American Music Award, has never wavered.
- Reborn, 2009 Compare prices
- Avalon: The Greatest Hits, 2009 (Purchase/Download)
- Another Time, Another Place: Timeless Christian Classics, 2008
- Faith: A Hymns Collection, 2006 (Purchase/Download)
- Stand, 2006 (Purchase/Download)
- The Creed, 2004 (Purchase/Download)
- Testify To Love: The Very Best of Avalon, 2003
- O2: Oxygen Remixed, 2002
- Oxygen, 2001
- Joy, 2000
- In A Different Light, 1999
- A Maze Of Grace, 1998
- Avalon, 1997
- Janna Long
- Greg Long
- Jeremi Richardson
- Amy Richardson
Big Daddy Weave was formed when the band members met at the University of Mobile in Alabama. The band holds the distinction of having their debut album on Fervent Records, One And Only, makes its debut in SoundScan's Christian Top 5, which was the highest debut for a new artist in 2002.
Big Daddy Weave Discography:
- Christ Is Come, 2009
- What Life Would Be Like, 2008
- Every Time I Breathe, 2006
- What I Was Made For, 2005
- Fields of Grace, 2003
- One and Only, 2002
- Neighborhoods, 2001 (released independently)
Big Daddy Weave Members:
- Mike Weaver - songwriter/lead Vocals/guitar
- Jeff Jones - drums
- Jay Weaver - bass/vocals
- Joe Shirk - saxophone/keyboards
- Jeremy Redmon - guitars/vocals
The members of Casting Crowns started out in youth ministry in Daytona Beach, FL, later moving to Atlanta, GA. The band recorded two independent records that were distributed mainly in the Atlanta area, and both were extremely popular. In a Cinderella story, one of those CDs got into the hands of Mark Miller of Sawyer Brown, who shared it with two of his longtime friends, Provident Label Group President Terry Hemmings and Steven Curtis Chapman. Beach Street Records was formed and Casting Crowns was signed as the flagship band.
Casting Crowns Members:
While still in his early 20's, Chris August cut his musical teeth with with Geffen Records while being managed by Joe Simpson (Jessica and Ashlee Simpson’s father). A move from Los Angeles back to his Texas home to lead worship pushed him farther into writing songs for God and before long, he was signed by Word Records and headed to Nashville.
His first Christian album garnered him three Dove Awards and he is showing no signs of slowing down.
Chris August Discography:
- The Upside of Down - 2012
- No Far Away (Christmas Deluxe Edition) - 2011
- No Far Away - 2010
- What You're Looking For - 2009 (independent release)
- Nice To Meet You EP - 2007 (independent release)
- A Beautiful Thing - 2004 (independent release released under the name Chris Megert and the Love Jones)
Joel and Luke Smallbone started winning fans and hearts from the moment they released their first album. The younger brothers of Rebecca St. James, the siblings have already seen awards land on their mantles and their songs being played on hit shows on TV.
For KING & COUNTRY Discography:
- Crave, 2012
- For King & Country: The EP, 2011
Francesca Battistelli was only 15 when she started performing with a pop group.The next leg of her journey began at a youth camp, where God planted the seed of Christian music. Battistelli started writing songs and released an independent album at age 19. Fervent Records signed her and released her full-length debut album in 2008. By 2011, she was the two time Dove Female Vocalist of the Year and she's just getting started!
Francesca Battistelli Discography:
As a band, Jars of Clay has released 25+ albums, sold over six million copies, won three GRAMMYS, headlined thousands of sold-out shows and festivals, and launched a non-profit organization promoting clean blood and water in Africa as well as a record label.
Jars of Clay Partial Discography:
- Live At Gray Matters, Vol. 4 EP, 2011
- Live At Gray Matters, Vol. 3: The Christmas Edition EP, 2010
- Jars Of Clay Presents: The Shelter, 2010
- Live At Gray Matters, Vol. 2: The Rewind Edition EP, 2010
- Flood(ed): A Benefit EP, 2010
- Live At Gray Matters, Vol. 1: Songs From The Long Fall Back To Earth EP, 2010
- The Long Fall Back To Earth, 2009
- Christmas Reflections, 2008
Jars of Clay Members:
- Dan Haseltine – vocals
- Charlie Lowell – keys
- Steve Mason – guitar
- Matt Odmark – guitar
An accident a few years later that severed an artery in his arm had doctors doubting that he would ever play guitar again, but God had other plans and it wasn't long before Matthew was signed as the first Christian artist to the Universal South record label.
Matthew West Discography:
- Into The Light, September 25, 2012 (Purchase/Download)
- The Heart of Christmas, 2011 (Purchase/Download)
- The Stories Premium Collection, 2011
- The Story Of Your Life, 2010 (Purchase/Download)
- Hold You Up EP, 2010 (Purchase/Download)
- Something To Say: Christmas Edition, 2009
- The Writer's Room: An Acoustic EP, 2009 (Purchase/Download)
- Nothing To Say CD/DVD, 2008
- Something To Say, 2008 Compare Prices
- History, 2005 Compare Prices
- Happy, 2003 Compare Prices
- Sellout, 2002 (independent) - re-released in 2006 Compare Prices
MercyMe started out in 1994 as just a bunch of guys who loved music, loved the Lord and wanted be able to support their families playing music for and about Jesus. Several Dove Awards, a few albums and over five million + CD and DVD sales later, a lot has changed. But they're still the same people - guys who love what they do and who they do it for.
- Bart Millard - vocals
- Barry Graul - guitar
- Jim Bryson - keyboards
- Nathan Cochran - bass
- Mike Scheuchzer - guitar
- Robby Shaffer - drums