In the 60s, the popular "sex, drugs and rock 'n roll" lifestyle that many were living in the decade of "free love" met its match with the "Jesus movement" (Christian rock). Using electric guitars, passionate vocals and drum kits producing killer back-beats, Christian rock was a way to share the Message of Hope with people in churches who wanted more than traditional hymns and with those outside of the church that didn't know Jesus.
Today, Christian rock bands use the same tools, just with more sub-genres thrown into the mix. They rock for The Rock with no apologies and their hearts show us all just where they stand.
The Texas rockers known as Abandon formed after brothers Josh and Justin Engler moved from their home state of Indiana during high school and met cousins Dave and Stevan Vela at church. The group played worship together but soon felt a calling to write original music and put more purpose into their performances. Their new sound caught the attention of EMI CMG Director of A&R Chris York, who signed Abandon to Forefront Records after hearing them playing next door to the restaurant he was eating dinner in.
- Josh Engler - vocals
- Justin Engler - guitar
- Dave Vela - drums
- Stevan Vela - guitar
- Bryan Fowler - bass
Abandon Starter Songs
Abandon Music Videos
After 15-years of sold out concerts, three million albums sold, 18 No. 1 radio hits and several GRAMMY and Dove award nominations and wins, Audio Adrenaline retired in 2007 due to lead singer Mark Stuart's vocal problems. However, in 2012, Will McGinniss reformed the group with a new line-up and a new lead singer - none other than Kevin Max of dcTalk fame.
Audio Adrenaline Members
- Will McGinniss - bass
- Kevin Max - vocals
- Dave Ghazarian (formerly with Superchick) — guitar
- Jared Byers — drums
- Jason Walker — keys
Audio Adrenaline Starter Songs
- "Goodbye" (Purchase/Download)
- "Hands And Feet" (Purchase/Download)
- "Get Down" (Purchase/Download)
- "King" (Purchase/Download)
- "Pierced" (Purchase/Download)
Audio Adrenaline Music Videos
Christian Music's biggest breakthrough band and the best-selling new artist of 2004 is made up of three sisters from Elgin, Illinois. The Barlows live, work, worship and make incredible music together.
For two years the Barlow sisters acted as the back up band for their dad and traveled the country. They decided to form their own band and were picked up by Fervent Records in October of 2003. Rebecca, Alyssa and Lauren Barlow have come a long way since then and continue to rock us with their passion for Christ.
- Rebecca - guitar, background vocals
- Alyssa - bass, keyboards, vocals
- Lauren - drums, vocals
BarlowGirl Starter Songs
BarlowGirl Music Videos
Just like their name, which comes from Ephesians 4:29 (Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it. - AMP), the members of Building 429 are all about building people up with their music. After over a decade of music, that's a lot of building.
Building 429 Members
- Jason Roy - vocals, guitar, keys
- Michael Anderson - drums
- Jesse Garcia - guitar, keys
- Aaron Branch - bass
Building 429 Starter Songs
- "End Of Me" (Purchase/Download)
- "Bring Me Back" (Purchase/Download)
- "Searching For A Savior" (Purchase/Download)
- "Shoulder" (Purchase/Download)
Building 429 Music Videos
At the age of 12, Brian Bunn and Josh Reedy started playing music together. After high school they met guitarist Eric Miker and grew a little more. Boone Daughdrill rounded out the group when he came in to play drums for a set of shows and they clicked so well, they decided to keep him. Bursting into the music scene as Slanted Records' flagship band in 2006, DecembeRadio's debut album got a Grammy nod and won them a Dove. They haven't slowed down since.
- Josh Reedy - vocals/bass
- Brian Bunn - lead guitar
- Eric Miker - guitar
- Boone Daughdrill (left in October 2010) - drums
DecembeRadio Starter Songs
- "Be Alright" (Purchase/Download)
- "Better Man" (Purchase/Download)
- "Live And Breathe" (Purchase/Download)
DecembeRadio Music Videos
Based out of Albany, OR, Falling Up came about while the guys were still in high school. As providence would have it, they were friends with the members of Kutless and it was actually Kutless who pitched them to BEC Recordings owner, Brandon Ebel, who eventually went on to sign them in the summer of 2003.
They debuted on February 24, 2004, with Crashings. The release sold over 3,000 units in its first week. Since then, the band has released six more CDs.
Falling Up Members
- Jessy C. Ribordy - Vocals, Keys, Guitar
- Jeremy Miller - Bass, Keys
- Josh Shroy - Drums
- Daniel Hudleston - Guitar
Falling Up Starter Songs
- "Contact" (Purchase/Download)
- "Goddess Of The Dayspring, Am I" (Purchase/Download)
- "Bittersweet" (Purchase/Download)
Falling Up Music Videos
Family Force 5 Members
- Jacob Olds (Crouton) - Drums & Vocals
- Joshua Olds (Fatty) - Bass & Vocals
- Derek Mount (Chap Stique) - Guitar
- Nathan Currin (Nadaddy) - Keys
Family Force 5 Starter Songs
- "Paycheck" (Purchase/Download)
- "Party Foul (Sami D's UVS Remix)" (Purchase/Download)
- "Share It With Me" (Purchase/Download)
Family Force 5 Music Videos
After growing up listening to bands like TFK, MXPX and Slick Shoes, the members of Hawk Nelson took their lifelong love of pop/punk music on the road after forming in 2003. Tooth & Nail Records snatched them up in 2004 and they haven't looked back since.
Hawk Nelson Members
- Jonathon Steingard - lead vocals/guitar (took over lead vocals when Jason Dunn left in May 2012)
- Daniel Biro - bass
- Justin Benner - drums
Hawk Nelson Starter Songs
- "Everything You Ever Wanted" (Purchase/Download)
- "Bring 'Em Out" (Purchase/Download)
- "Done Holding On" (Purchase/Download)
Hawk Nelson Music Videos
The members of the Grammy Award winning Jars of Clay met at Greenville College in Greenville, Illinois in the early 1990s. Four years later, after winning a GMA contest, they left school and took up music full time, eventually signing with Essential Records. The relationship with the label lasted until 2007, when they formed their own label, Gray Matters and partnered with Nettwerk Music Group.
Jars of Clay Members
- Dan Haseltine - vocals/percussion
- Charlie Lowell - keys
- Stephen Mason - guitar/bass
- Matthew Odmark - guitar
Jars of Clay Starter Songs
- "Dead Man (Carry Me)" (Purchase/Download)
- "Work" (Purchase/Download)
- "God Will Lift Up Your Head" (Purchase/Download)
Jars of Clay Music Videos
With over two million records sold and hundreds of shows played in several countries to over 1.6 million fans so far, Kutless proves beyond doubt that you can mix Christian rock with worship and be successful.
Kutless Starter Songs:
- "Somewhere In The Sky" - (Purchase/Download)
- "Smile" (Acoustic) - (Purchase/Download)
- "Somewhere In The Sky" (Acoustic) - (Purchase/Download)